May 31, 2010 @ 12:54 PM
7 pounds, 9 ounces
20 inches
We are all so happy! Field arrived a little sooner than expected! We went to the hospital Sunday afternoon. I was having contractions, but not feeling the baby move at all. I got hooked up to the monitors and his heart rate was fine, so they were going to monitor me for an hour and then send me on my way...so I thought. The on call OB thought that I would have him soon because my contractions were so regular and frequent (every 3-3 1/2 minutes lasting 90-100 seconds). Then during the night, they slowed down considerably. They were deciding what to do with me during a shift change to new nurses and a new OB, also not mine. The nurse came in with some pitocin and said, "So, are you ready to have a baby today?" Well, not really, but what do you say to that? They started pitocin about 9:30 and my water broke on its own about an hour later. Then they came in to give me an epidural. Before he even gave me any drugs, I felt like I was going to pass out. Kevin had to hold me up. My heart rate and blood pressure bottomed out. He finished the epidural and laid me back down so they could monitor the baby. His heart rate was bottomed out. It was down to 70 (it's supposed to be 130-150). They started giving me all sorts of drugs to get my vitals back and his. Drugs to stop contractions, drugs to do this and that. It took awhile, I'm not sure exactly how long, but it seemed like forever! It finally went back up and they let us rest for awhile. They started pitocin again around noon. About 12:50, his heart rate started to drop again. The nurse got all worried again and decided to check me again. I went from a 7 to a 10 in about 15 minutes. They weren't exactly expecting that. His heart rate had dropped because he was coming! The doctor came rushing in and 2 pushes later, he was here!!
Since he came a lot sooner than we thought, we weren't exactly prepared. We didn't have a plan for the girls, we didn't have a name, we didn't have the crib fixed (it needed a bolt), and little details. Mary was able to fly in Monday afternoon to take care of the girls. We are so grateful for her! Kev has stayed at the hospital and that's been so great! (At least for me, his couchbed is horribly uncomfortable) We are so grateful that the complications were minimal and that we have a healthy, beautiful baby boy!
I guess we will never get our June baby. All of our kids were due in June, but born in May. Field almost made it! So, now on with the pictures!
11 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!! You have a beautiful baby! So happy that everything turned out well and that you all are home and healthy. The grins on the faces of Field's big sisters are CLASSIC, they don't seem excited about a new baby brother at all! J/K. Congratualtions again!
Paula! He is adorable! Congrats on the new addition Byrd fam! I love the name, too!
Yay! We are so excited he is here! And look at you super mom blogging 2 days later!
Congrats Paula and family! He's adorable!!! I'm glad there weren't major complications girl! So...are you going to have another baby? Any hand-delivered messages from any angels? =)
We miss you! The walk to school is just not the same!
Oh so exciting! And very cute. He will be one spoiled boy with those cute girls hovering over him. CONGRATS!!
Congrats! Glad things are okay, but sounds like a rough, scary experience. I'm on the countdown for a few more weeks. Maybe I will get a June baby instead of a July.
Congratulations! he is so handsome. I'm glad he got here safe and sound. Let me know when you are in Utah so I can come see him in person.
Congratulations on your new baby!! I'm sure the girls will help you take good care of him! Hope you are feeling good and getting some rest!
Oh, my goodness!! Congratulations!! He's darling and it looks like the girls are super excited to finally meet him! :)
Oh my goodness, what an ADORABLE baby boy!! Congrats! I'm glad everything worked out and Mom and baby are healthy.
He's so handsome!! So excited for you guy's! How early did he come?
Post a Comment