I know no one is on the edge of their seat waiting to hear of the fish saga at the Byrdhouse, but here goes anyway. We had such high hopes for Roxy. She looked good for so long! But, in the end, while we were sleeping, disaster stuck once again. Roxy didn't last first night at the Byrdhouse. Apparently, Byrds really are fish killers. The most horrible thing about this death, is that in Kev's rush to go to work this morning, he forgot to flush Roxy. So, Avery's friend Taitum came over this morning while Candis had an appointment. And I overhear from the other room, "Taitum, do you want to see my dead fish?" I ran in there to see both girls peering over the fish tank looking at Roxy, still floating sideways in the water. So, evidently, I needed to flush the fish myself. You may remember, or already know, that I am a freak about germs. So the thought of getting a dead fish out of nasty water and putting it into my toilet, about sent me to the loony bin. I finally did it, with Avery watching, of course. Then I tell Avery to flush it. She says, "But Taitum needs to see it go down." She runs and gets Taitum as I shake my head and wonder if this happens to anyone else. And does anyone else's child make their friends witness a fish funeral? I sometimes think that Avery's constant (at least lately) exposure to death is a good thing, she knows what happens and isn't inconsolable. But then I wonder if the death of animals and most of the time, our eating of those same animals, is actually causing some weird fascination with death.
I guess only time will tell...
3 comments:
Mom says quit buying fish and dad says to just buy some fake ones!!
wow. I did not know you were having such an adventure at your house. So, are you going to try again? If you do decide to try again, come over and borrow the stuff to make your water safe for fish. Aaron has everything you need.
You make me giggle. You are experiencing the exact same saga that we did when Emily was Avery's age. I decided to stick with kids and leave animals out of our world. Good luck!! Thanks for the laugh!
Post a Comment